About Ikate Land
Ikate-Elegushi Kingdom nestles in Eti-Osa Local Government Area of Lagos State. It is a 135 square kilometers land mass, cocooned by the Atlantic Ocean and Lagos lagoon, Eti-Osa and Ikate land.
According to history, the roots of Eti-Osa people can be traced to Olofin, who migrated from Ile-Ife and settled in Iddo. In 1601, the Eti-Osa people left the settlement area in Iddo and migrated to Ikate.
Oba Yekini Elegushi was the first crowned King of Ikate Elegushi Kingdom. Prior to this he was one of the Idejo white cap class chiefs, who were landowners. He was first installed a white cap chief on November 1st, 1990, then elevated to the class of Obas (Kings) and was crowned on February 4, 1993 as Oba Yekini Adeniyi Elegushi, Kusenla II.
IKATELAND IN ETI-OSA GEO-POLITICS
IKATELAND is the territory over which His Royal Majesty. Oba Yekinni Adeniyi Elegushi reigns. It is situated on the Western approach to Eti-Osa proper, along Maroko – Epe Expressway, about four kilometers from Mobil Oil Headquarters. It extends from 6. 25″ to 6.26″N longitude, and 3.28″ East to 3.31″ east of the equator. It presently covers approximately 10 square kilometers, but, in the past, before 1941, it extended beyond Okun Alajapa.
Ikate is one of the major settlements on the Eti-Osa proper, the others being Ajiran, Ajah, Ado, Badore, Lamgbasa, Shangotedo, Ogombo, Okun Mopo, Okun Ajah and Okun Alfa or Okun Ibeju. Few other settlements such as Oroke, Ikoya, Ipeun, Magbon, Itirin and Igbosere, fell under other potentate in the then Lagos Colony area whilst others were classified under IbejulLekki district of Epe Division.
The boundaries of Eti-Osa were formally defined in a Supplement to the Western Regional Gazette Extraordinary No. 41, Volume 3, 2nd October, 1954 Part B. It was defined in the Westem Region Legal Notice (W.R.L.N.) 139 of 1954, in the 3rd Schedule as part of the boundaries of the then Ikeja Division as follows:
East “…on a point on the Southern shore of the Lagos Lagoon approximately 1,000 yards east of the village of Badore: thence following the Southern bank of Omu Creek to a point approximately 1,300 yards south of the village of Oko Abe; thence in a general south-westerly direction to a point on the shore of the Bight of Benin approximately half a mile west of Mopo Ijebu village.
“South – Thence along the Colony boundary along the shore of the Bight of Benin to a point on the Lagos Township boundary, approximately 400 yards southwest from the village of Shango Jimi; thence in a general norther1y direction to a point on the Lagos Lagoon approximately three-quarters of a mile north of the village of Mobba; thence in a general northerly direction to the mouth of the Akoko Creek: thence in a general south-westerly direction along the westem shores of the Lagos Lagoon to a point on the Lagos Township boundary approximately three-quarters of a mile east of the village of Somolu…
” In the case of Eti-Osa, the boundary follows the south-easterly direction of the southem shore of Lagos Lagoon to the point of origin east of Badore village.
Ikate is situated to the west of this geographical definition of Eti-Osa, about three kilometers from Igbosere Creek, near where Mobil Oil Company’s headquarter is presently located, formerly the site of Oroke village, off Maroko – Epe Expressway.
According to the intelligence report on the Eti-Osa,
written by Mr. T. F. Barker, a former British colonial district officer, in 1949, Eti-Osa, & (a name meaning “lagoon-side” was suggested by the Revd. and Honourable T. A. J. Ogunbiyi), is a “wedge shaped tract of sand and swampland, some fifteen miles in length and tapering from six to two miles in breadth, bounded on the North by the Lagos lagoon: on the East by the Omu Creek and a straight line southward from the eastern end of Five Cowrie Creek through Kuramo Water to the sea.”
Barker’s report stated that “in the West (of this territory) there are wide expanse of barren marshland where nothing grows but reeds and coarse (tall) grasses.
The triangle of marsh between Maroko, Gedegede and Ogoyo (no longer in existence) which has been included in the Government anti-malarial drainage scheme as the ‘liado swamp area’ should soon provided (then) a valuable square mile or two for planned utilization, and the adjacent marshland extending eastwards to Ajiran offers opportunities for development when drained.”
This is the area that has become an economic growth area of modem day Lagos State, almost amounting to gold mine, in terms of land acquisition, both by public and private sectors of the economy.
ECONOMY – Eti-Osa was hitherto a badly neglected area, barren and inhospitable where the scant population made a precarious living from the sea, the swamps and the sandy soil of the area. The area in former times provided ground for animal hunters and other adventurers rather than seWed human population.
Fifty to sixty years ago, Eti-0sa area grew small food crop, to support its small population, while in the swamps and lagoon fish and edible snails were caught. Sea fishing is confined to the dry season when the sea is calm; this, however, was carried out by non-indigene Fanti fishermen. Coconut trees planted along the sea shore were used to manufacture copra; and oil palms were not harvested. The most lucrative trade was the sale of timber to Lagos for firewood and charcoal. But all these activities have now virtually ceased, except in the isolated communities on the lagoon shore. The entire people of Eti-Osa, apart from hosting modem houses, estates, office buildings and industries have embraced modem economic activities.
…read About The History of Ikateland